Are you interested in funky flows, peaceful meditations, creative restorative classes, and helpful workshops? Check out our new Subscription Service – Practice.AuthenticMovements and lock in your low rate TODAY!
TEACHER TRAININGS RESOURCES
Authentic Movements hosts online and in-person 200HR & 300HR (500 track) trainings that are Yoga Alliance Registered. We also have 25 & 50HR modules to progress your practice in subjects you are passionate about. Check out all the details and join the AM Family TODAY!
Authentic Movements is both a school and an idea. As a school (Yoga Alliance Registered), it is a continued education platform providing online and in-person study in the form of 200HR & 500HR teacher trainings, retreat intensives, and detailed workshops (remote or in a city near you). There is something for all-levels, with more coming soon.
As an idea, Authentic Movements proposes that everyone can embrace both intricate, anatomically-based alignment as well as free-form, creativity-inpsired movements. And in fact….it is only through the combination of both that we can learn to move safely, but also authentically in our practice, and in life. Join us! Together we can explore, create, and grow.
SUBSCRIPTION Plans AvailableLock in a monthly or yearly rate for Practice.AuthenticMovements
Plans Available (Non-Subscription)Check out our non-subscription content too!
Starting a Yoga PracticeAn Introduction to Movement
All five full-length classes are about an hour for the busy practicioner, but still contain a proper warm up, funky flow sprinkled with drills and strengtheners, and a softening cool down section. In Steph & Erin’s signature style, the focus is on moving slowly with attention to alignment and form, both in the postures themselves and the space between. The perfect place to begin or fine tune your movement journey.
1. What is Yoga – But really? What is Yoga? This intro video (not a movement class) briefly touches on the idea of Yoga as a whole life experience, both on and off the mat. While the 5 classes focus mainly on the physical movements of the body, having a general understanding of the larger definitions of Yoga can be helpful going into your inner process.
2. Self Check In – This brief body scan (not a movement class) is a basic, but extremely helpful tool that Steph & Erin often implement before, during, and after their physical practice to cater the time on the mat to specific physical, mental, and emotional needs. Try this once for fun or utilize repeatedly to customize your movement.
3. Breath Meets Movement – Harness the power of traditional breathing techniques and begin to understand the connection between respiration and movement. Tap into your inner winds as we start slowly and build to a more fluid, dance-like practice on the mat. Focus: Breathing to assist with movement.
4. Solid Gaze, Solid Stance – Drill down your focus with an introduction to drishti or gaze. Learn to utilize the foundations of your feet and hands like steady roots so that your limbs can fly free. Expect funky foot work, attention to alignment, and at least a few wiggles! Focus: Learning the power of gaze and exploring balance.
5. Awakening the Bandhas – Fire up the energy locks and natural lifts of the body as you learn to use specific muscle engagements of the pelvis, belly, and throat. Tone and open the hips through slow and steady movements with prop use and modifications for every body. Focus: Introduction to energy locks and hip opening.
6. Open to Opportunity – Tap into the energizing and uplifting power of happy heart openers. Experience the benefits of finding a balanced bend in the spine and space throughout the full body. Utilize muscle chains and detailed cues to help pull yourself into stable positions instead of dumping into naturally flexible areas as you awaken every inch of yourself. Focus: Cultivating a smooth and safe backbend.
7. Tap into Self – Wring yourself out with a twisted flow focused on active lengthening and prop-based folds. Learn the intricacies of multi-plane movement and how to create space and safely transition into it. Expect to put all of the lessons together from the previous four classes as we explore the body from head to toe and complete more pieces of the puzzle. Focus: Proper twisting technique and safe hamstring lengtheners.
Interested in trying Yoga, but not sure where to begin? With all of the resources available, figuring out an ideal starting place can be difficult. This five class package aims to introduce the main aspects of the physical Yoga practice so that you can feel comfortable on your mat, whether that’s with continued personal exploration or in a public class setting.
From basic terminology to connecting breath with movement, learn to listen to both simple and detailed cues and implement them into your postures and transitions. Fine tune your focus with directed gaze, and cultivate a lifted lightness through specific muscle engagements. Find comfort and stability in efficient prop usage to help you safely modify and progress your practice for your personal needs.
Ideal for the true beginner or those looking to revisit the roots of the physical Yoga practice and hone in on body awareness and engagement.
Finding Float • Level 1
Classes are organized by inversion type (arm balance, headstand, forearm stand, handstand wall, handstand free standing), and can be done in the provided sequence or any order of your choosing.
1. Core Foundations: Learn the basics of tuning in and integrating core activity into the entirety of your practice. Solidify your foundation, while exploring essential warm ups and alignment cues. Practice your new skills in the workshop section with crow pose or Bakasana.
2. Headstand: Often thought of as the more basic inversion, headstand is very complex, but also very rewarding. Explore the full body activation and spinal length necessary to balance upside down, and learn the intricacies of supported and tripod headstand alignment during the workshop section
3. Forearm Stand: Open the shoulders and fire up the legs through a fun and funky flow that will get you standing on your forearms in no time! Experiment with different arm positioning and strength building drills that will help you find your float in the workshop section.
4. Handstand Wall & Prop: Explore the importance of prop usage for inversions. Learn to take away a great deal of guesswork with “no jump” handstand tutorials, and a variety of prep poses to help you gain confidence on your hands.
5. Freestanding Handstand: Start building confidence to practice handstand in the middle of the room with a variety of activated and controlled freestanding drills. Explore full body activation even further, and learn to PLUG IN to float up.
Not sure which Level is perfect for you?
Interested in beginning an inversion journey, but not quite sure where to start? Our Finding Float Package focuses on teaching you the basics of headstand, forearm stand, and handstand through essential warm ups and strengtheners, a fun flow section where you can practice integrative movements, and a workshop portion where we take the time to break down specific drills to get you upside down!
With over 5 hours of content, Finding Float will help you build the confidence and body awareness to start exploring the world from a new perspective. This package is ideal for those looking to just start their inversion journey!
Spread Your Wings & Soar • Level 2
Inversions are a never-ending field of study. Once we begin to find our initial balance upside down, new opportunities open up in front of us, such as exploring complex but rewarding transitions, experimenting with a variety of leg positioning, and starting to integrate pressing drills into our daily practice.
Spread Your Wings & Soar is a natural progression package from Finding Float that highlights on such topics as: deep belly activation, headstand transitioning, hollowback forearm stand, and learning to press to handstand. Classes are organized by inversion type and can be done in the presented sequence or any order of your choosing.
Erin & Steph provide over 5 hours of content that includes detailed warm-ups, helpful sequences to practice new skills, intricate workshop sections to progress your practice, and of course, related cool down and restorative work.
To make the most of the provided drills and sequences, it is suggested that you are comfortable in supported/tripod headstand and forearm stand, with at least some personal exploration into handstand, even if balance has not been found quite yet!
This package is ideal for those with a regular Yoga practice and some knowledge of inversions.
Not sure which Level is perfect for you?
1. Advanced Core: Tap into your inner core to find the power to float with ease. Explore the use of deep belly or transverse abdominus work in a variety of postures, culminating with Lolasana or pendant pose breakdowns during the workshop section.
2. Exploring Headstand: Practice lengthening through the crown of the head for neck stabilization and the ability to add in headstand transitions. Play with moving between arm variations and rising up into crow pose.
3. Advanced Pincha Play: Integrate spinal flexion and extension into your forearm stand work. Learn about the importance of wrapping toward the midline as we play with the torso in space. Explore hollowback positioning, lowers to arm balances, and funky hand set ups during the workshop section.
4. Work the Negative: Start preparing for lifting up by lowering down. Learn the importance of active legs and hip flexors in handstand lowers, as well as spinal positioning and pelvic tilt. Workshop breakdown includes lowering to crow and touching on toe taps.
5. SOAR: Experiment with everything Handstand Pressing. Learn about lifting up, slicing out, and the importance of stacking hips high over the shoulders. Take home countless drills and cues to help you integrate press work into your everyday practice.
Art of Balance • Level 1An Introduction to Arm Balances
Have you every wanted to explore the world of arm balances? Art of Balance – Level 1 helps you break down some of the more popular hand balancing postures and discover new ways to incorporate both them and their preliminary steps into your regular practice.
End each class with a demonstration based workshop section where they break down the steps and alignment cues needed to find your way into Flying Crow, Elephant’s Trunk, Eight Angle, Side Crow, Chinstand, and More. Of course, you’ll be guided through a neutralizing and counter pose-based cool down, and offered a refreshing savasana to help you reset and download.
1. Intro to Flying Crow: Learn to tap into your inner strength as you explore the intricacies of single leg Crow (Eka Pada Bakasana). Build confidence and steadiness of the body while stabilizing and strengthening the wrists and forearms.
2. Intro to Side Crow & EPK A: Wring yourself out with a tasty, twisty flow to get the spine supple for Side Crow or Parsva Bakasana. Explore multiple entries and how props can assist you on your journey into flight.
3. Intro to Chinstand: Harness the power of props to guide you safely through one of the more complex arm balances. Build strength and stability in the shoulder girdle and core so you can float light as a feather on the chin.
4. Intro to Eight Angle:Cultivate an understanding of the importance of strong legs in arm balances. Practice hugging in toward the midline and summoning the deep belly fire to find float on the hands.
Not sure which Level is perfect for you?
Classes are organized by arm balance or arm balance pairs, and are ideal for those with some yoga experience, however, no arm balance experience is necessary. Over four hours of content that you can come back to time and time again or even use as a reference tool when introducing students to arm balances.
Art of Balance • Level 2Exploring Arm Balance Transitions
Embrace the space between postures as you learn to cultivate grace and fluidity of movement through careful control and awareness of the entire body. Art of Balance Level 2 takes some of the more popular arm balances, and begins to string them together, utilizing breath and intricate small movements to achieve eloquence and confidence on the mat.
Explore transitions and sequencing for Side Crow, Flying Crow, the Koundinyasana series, Chinstand, Eight Angle, and MORE as you learn to cultivate the deep belly strength and innate body knowledge needed to float between postures.
This package is ideal for those with a regular yoga practice and some knowledge of arm balances. To make the most of the provided drills and sequences, it is suggested that you are comfortable in or have lightly explored at least some of the arm balances listed.
Each class is arranged more like a mini workshop, organized by arm balance and including a warm up, creative flow to introduce new drills, discussion based breakdown of each transition with prop usage, and a thorough cool down.
Not sure which Level is perfect for you?
1. Flying Crow TransitionsTap into deep belly strength as you stabilize and strengthen your Flying Crow, allowing you to move with grace and confidence toward headstand or Eka Pada Koundinyasa B. Expect strong arm work and deep hollowing of the front body to turn on the inner abdominals.
2. Side Crow Transitions Practice deep twists and arm strengthening techniques to help you flow from Parsva Bakasana (Side Crow) through the Koundinyasana series. Explore how spinal movement and core integration take your body awareness to a new level.
3. Chinstand Transitions Integrate some spinal extension into your arm balance practice as you explore Chinstand transitions up and down from the Koundinyasana series. Practice the arm, shoulder, and core strength necessary to flow between expanded and hollow body spinal positioning.
4. Eight Angle Transitions:Channel your inner strength and grace as you introduce movements from Eight Angle to Eka Pada Koundinyasa B, Chaturanga, and more. Harness the power of props to help you find lift and space to glide “effortlessly” through a variety of positions.